May 22, 2012

breakfast for dinner: yeasted buttermilk-wheat waffles


The first several weeks after Samuel was born we ate lots and lots of very simple dinners.  I have a list of meals that I have typed up for just such occasions.  I know I can prepare those meals in very little time and I use the list as a reference so that I don't have to expend any effort in deciding what to make on those nights when I am just too tired to think.  Even with the sleep deprivation that comes with a new baby in the house, eating a home-cooked dinner is important to me.  It would be easy to rely on fast food or prepared meals (and don't get the wrong idea, there were a few of those types of meals had these past couple of months), but the truth is, I feel better and my husband feels better when we're eating the way we are used to.

You might not think that homemade waffles would constitute an easy dinner, but they really are very simple to prepare and make.  Start the batter in the morning, add the rest of ingredients just before dinner, and bake.  With the addition of fresh fruit, and some sausage - or better yet, bacon - you've got yourself a decent dinner.  And around here, breakfast for dinner is considered super-fun!  I think the boys think it's just a little bit naughty, like we're doing something that maybe we aren't supposed to be doing.  It makes for one happy meal time.

As a little aside, I live with four boys, and guess what?  They all love bacon!  Love.  Okay, well Sam doesn't love bacon, yet, but I'm sure he will one day.


Yeasted Buttermilk-Wheat Waffles
adapted from this recipe at epicurious.com

Ingredients:
     2 1/4  teaspoons active dry yeast
     1 teaspoon sugar
     1/4 cup lukewarm water (between 100 and 110 degrees F)
     2 cups lukewarm buttermilk
     1/2 teaspoon salt
     1 1/2 cups white flour
     1 cup wheat flour

     2 tablespoons sugar
     5 tablespoons melted butter, cooled
     2 eggs, beaten
     1/2 teaspoon baking soda
     1 tsp vanilla extract

Directions:
     In a small bowl, sprinkle the yeast into 1/4 cup warm water, add the sugar and stir.  Let this mixture stand until foamy, about 10 minutes.  Heat the buttermilk gently until it reaches a temperature between 100 and 110 degrees Fahrenheit.  In a large bowl combine the buttermilk, salt, yeast mixture, and the two flours.  Cover with cling wrap and a towel.  If your kitchen is warm, then refrigerate this mixture.  If your kitchen is cool, you can  leave the mixture out on the counter.  You'll want to let the mixture proof for at least 8 hours until it has approximately doubled in volume.  When you are ready to make your waffles add the sugar, butter, eggs, baking soda, and vanilla (if you've refrigerated this mixture I recommend letting it sit at room temperature for around 30 minutes before proceeding with this step).  Cook the batter according to your waffle iron's instructions.

These waffles were so yummy!  They were crispy on the outside and nice and fluffy on the inside.  They had a really lovely flavor too.  While there was a hint of tanginess from the buttermilk, the most predominant flavor came from the yeast.  In fact, the buttermilk is not entirely necessary for this recipe and if you don't have any, you can substitute regular milk instead. I only used buttermilk because I had some leftover from another recipe.  I can never seem to use it all up before it spoils - although this time I was victorious and none of the buttermilk went to waste.  Yay!

It probably goes without saying, but these would be wonderful in the morning too.  Just start your mixture the night before and add the step two ingredients in the morning.  In fact, years ago we used to make a similar yeasted waffle recipe, but have since lost it.  I'm happy to have found this one to take it's place.

**********

I'm linking this recipe to Sarah and Pam's Making it Count Tuesday:


Their blogs, amongst lovely things and everyday snapshots, have become regular reads for me.  I know you will find something there to inspire you too.  If you are visiting from Pam's blog, stop and say hello?

Until next time, God bless.

9 comments:

  1. You had me at "or better yet, bacon." These look yummy and I love a good waffle recipe.

    And now let me say -- I own your book!! How cool is that? I have not been much of a scrapbooker lately, but I love starting with a sketch and your book had some great ideas. I need to dust it off and make some layouts.

    Feature that: celebrity dropped by my blog! Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, thank you for stopping by! I'm glad you enjoy my book, that is always nice to hear!

      And now, if Sam lets me, I'm going to visit the other blogs in the link-up. =)

      Delete
  2. That looks delicious, Donna. And the presentation is so pretty, it looks like something out of a magazine! My kids would love this, but I have to admit, I don't have a waffle iron! We got my mom one for Christmas...maybe I will borrow.

    Happy I stopped over from Pam's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We received a very basic one as a wedding present. Happy we did, because I do love making waffles at home. Thanks for taking a moment to say hi!

      Delete
  3. I love breakfast for dinner! Especially in summer, when more yummy fruits are in season.

    And who doesn't love bacon??? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, summer is the best time for waffles, lots of berries in season make it seem like not such a guilty treat. =)

      And yeah, I know vegetarians who are tempted by the smell of bacon. There is just something about it huh?

      Delete
  4. I love breakfast for dinner! And I've been in need of a good waffle recipe--I got a waffle maker for Christmas and just haven't found a great recipe yet. My husband will love that it has whole wheat flour in it, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The original recipe called for buckwheat, but I'm not a fan, nor is my husband. Also, I found another variation of this recipe that used equal parts white and wheat flour. You could probably experiment with a few combinations to find the one you like best (including using all white; wouldn't go all wheat though).

      I really do like this recipe because it has such great flavor, and the addition of wheat flour doesn't make them too heavy.

      Delete
  5. I love waffles for dinner. These ones sound really good. What a fun treat!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you so much for stopping by my blog, and for taking the time to comment. I love comments and I love hearing from you!

If you'd like, you can also email me at donnajannuzzi {at} gmail {dot} com

Have a blessed day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...