January 4, 2012

Document 2012: Getting Ready

Last week, in introducing the Document Project, I talked about my reasons for deciding to do this particular project in 2012.  I first learned about this project when I noticed the Document 2010 pages of scrapbooker, Alissa Fast, in the Studio Calico member's gallery.  I loved how this project combined traditional scrapbooking with the use of divided page protectors and envelope pages to help tell a more complete story. 

As part of my blogging week for Write.Click.Scrapbook. last November, I asked Alissa to share her views on this project, starting with how she learned about the project and what inspired her to start her own Document 2010 album.  Seeing her album and reading about her process was certainly a huge inspiration for me.  Her perspective on the project convinced me that such a project would in fact be doable given all the changes we will face this coming year.

Just to review, the idea behind the project is to make four pages for each month of the year.  One page is an envelope page, and holds a collection of items from every day life, essentially ephemera.


Two of the pages are made from divided page protectors where you can put photos, journaling, or anything that will fit into a 4×6 block (this is actually one page protector which makes two pages - front and back).



The final page is a layout that focuses on one event or memory that you want to record in more detail.


All of these pages are part of Alissa's Document 2010 album.  
You can see more of her album, here.


To get ready for this project I have collected the supplies that will be the foundation of my album.  Our library of memories is made up of the American Crafts cloth D-ring albums in various colors depending on the subject.  For this project I wanted to use a different type of album to set it apart from our other scrapbooks.  I decided to use this one from Pebbles
{source}
For the page protectors I plan to use a mix of sizes and formats, at least that is the plan for now.  I've chosen this multi-pack from We R Memory Keepers,
{source}
and this set from Becky Higgins' Project Life collection.
{source}
I will more than likely include more than one page protector per month depending on how many photos I take, but probably not more than two.  I might also decide after a couple of months to simplify my choices.  I'm going to see how that goes for the first few months and allow myself some flexibility (especially with a new baby on the way; no need to make this harder than it should be!)

I know that I could work from my own supplies for this project, but I'm taking Lisa Truesdell's advice by having pre-made elements at my disposal for those times when life gets busy.  So in addition to the album and the page protectors, I also purchased a few other items.  For my layout pages, I'm going to use these calendar pages from KI Memories (which come in a variety of shapes and colors)
{source}
I'm also going to use the Simple Stories Year-O-Graphy collection which comes with elements which can be cut apart to fit divided page protectors of various sizes.
{source}
In addition, I've purchased bits and pieces of another Simple Stories collection, Life Documented, and I plan on adding that into the mix too.

For journaling cards I'm using these 4x6 journaling card from Pebbles,
{source}
and these 3x4 journaling cards from Becky Higgins' Project Life collection.

{source}

As part of her tips and tricks, Alissa mentioned that she made her envelope pages at the beginning of the year and that that step made the process much easier for her.  I haven't made my envelope pages yet, and so I can't share them with you here.  Originally, I had planned to make my envelope pages in December, but early-on last month I realized that wasn't going to happen, and instead of putting extra pressure on myself, I simply adjusted my goals.  My new goal is to make both a cover page for my album, and all of the envelope pages before the end of January.  I truly love Alissa's envelope pages and I'm going to make envelope pages very similar to hers (no need to reinvent the wheel).  I want to make an effort to use my stash here too.  So I'll be using a mix of what I have on hand in addition to the Simple Stories collections I mentioned above.  I will share those pages with you when they are completed.

********

I know this is getting long, but I want to talk very briefly about the envelope pages.  There are tons of options for these and I thought I'd point out a few more examples to give you some additional ideas for how they could be made:

First-up are the envelopes being offered through Project Life (although I see that they are unavailable at this time).  These would provide a really fast and easy way to store your ephemera, or anything like children's artwork, etc.  Since those pockets are a full 12x12 they give you more flexibility for what can be stored.

KI Memories made 12x12 pocket pages which could be used for this purpose too.  However, these might be hard to find as it's been a while since they were released.  You can see what they look like, here.  As a less expensive option, they also make 10x5 pockets which could be attached to a piece of cardstock to form a pocket page.


Finally, Shimelle Laine, the creator of this project, made layout-like pages for her album and simply attached actual envelopes to her pages. You can see some examples at her blog, here.

********

Now that I have a plan, gathered all my supplies, and made the commitment to myself to follow through, I'm really excited to get started!  I know that this project will demand an extra effort on my part.  In deciding to do this project I tried to be very honest with myself about the required time commitment.  I do think that by working ahead, and by having a plan, this extra project will be manageable (and it is an extra, as I have no intentions of giving up traditional scrapbooking).  But, I also know that at the end of the year I will be very happy that I took the time to make that additional effort.  Part of my plan includes sharing my progress with you, here on my blog.  I do hope you will join me throughout the year as I Document 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! Thank you so much for stopping by my blog, and for taking the time to comment. I love comments and I love hearing from you!

If you'd like, you can also email me at donnajannuzzi {at} gmail {dot} com

Have a blessed day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...