July 21, 2011

on the agenda for today

A few weeks ago I saw a recipe for blueberry pie on my friend Christina's blog and just a few days later I made one:


I almost never have that kind of turn around time between inspiration and execution.  I don't know what got into me!  I have also never made blueberry pie before, and it's been a long time since I made crust from scratch so I thought this would be a good test of my baking skills.  Mine didn't turn out quite as lovely as the photo in the original recipe, but it was unbelievably delicious.  (I didn't crimp my edges enough and so they lost their shape as the pie baked.  Also, I made the stars around the pie too large and too low and so the juices spilled out, as you can see). 

The recipe for the pie crust is amazing too.  I typically make my crust in the food processor, but this recipe uses a stand mixer.  Instead of letting the dough rest and then rolling it out, you can roll it out immediately and then after the pie is assembled you chill the pie before baking.  To me the finished baked crust was the perfect mix between flaky and chewy.  I find that really flaky pie crust tends to be dry, but no one wants a completely chewy pie crust either.  I think the perfect crust is a mix of both and this one hit the mark for me. 

I'll just say again that I was very pleased with the results.  Which was a little strange because I don't really love blueberries.  They are probably my least favorite berry.  And the boys who would eat blueberries endlessly if I let them?  They didn't like this pie at all.  Weird.  Anyhow, I've been commanded by someone to make this pie again.  That person even did the legwork of buying the most necessary ingredient:


So, that's what I'll be doing today. =)

1 comment:

  1. oooo, that looks sooo good, Donna! I'm so glad you liked it, too. I'm not a big blueberry lover (although the fresh ones we picked last week were AWESOME right in the field), but the pie is a winner. Plus that crust is so darn simple. I love that I found the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you so much for stopping by my blog, and for taking the time to comment. I love comments and I love hearing from you!

If you'd like, you can also email me at donnajannuzzi {at} gmail {dot} com

Have a blessed day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...