June 16, 2011

we *heart* pickles

In addition to celebrating a birthday this weekend, I also found some time to make one of my favorite summertime recipes.  I've mentioned before that summer isn't my favorite season, but there are a few things about summer that I absolutely love.  A lot of those things just happen to be food related.

Since this recipe is one of my family's favorites I thought I'd share it with you too.  It is a super-easy recipe for refrigerator pickles which I've only slightly modified from this recipe, Dill Pickle Spears.  Here is my version:

Easy Dill Pickles

Ingredients
    4 to 6 Kirby cucumbers (about 1 pound), quartered lengthwise
    1 cup white-wine vinegar
    2 Tbsp sugar
    3 tablespoons coarse salt
    1 teaspoon dill seed
    1/2 tsp whole black peppercorns
    2 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed

Directions
    In a large saucepan, combine vinegar, sugar, salt, dill seed, peppercorns and garlic with 2 cups water.  Bring to a boil, stirring until sugar and salt dissolve.  Once the mixture comes to a boil, turn off the heat and place the cucumbers in the pan.  Allow the cucumbers to sit in the mixture until cool.  After they have cooled, transfer to a container and refrigerate, at least 2 hours.


I like to both quarter and halve my cucumbers.  The halves will pickle nicely but still have a substantial crunch that I happen to really love.


Also, as the cucumbers are pickling be sure to stir them occasionally, moving the pickles on top to the bottom and vice versa. 


My beloved pickle container, from Tupperware.  Mine is from a few years ago and I see that it now comes in a pretty blue color.  I very clearly remember the one that my mother had, and very likely still has, from the 70's in avocado green.  In fact, my mother had a lot of Tupperware and I remember all of it.  Sort of one of those things I associate with childhood

It's been several weeks since I participated in {pretty, happy, funny, real} and I thought that this would be a good opportunity to get back into the habit.  I think that cucumbers being pickled are pretty, don't you?  It's something about their dark green skins against the pale green insides.  Am I just weird?

Waving hello to any of you who have visited via Like Mother, Like Daughter, thank you for stopping by! 



round button chicken

10 comments:

  1. you're not alone! i think pickles phenomenally pretty! especially that last shot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops! i meant "are" phenomenally pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember all of my mom's Tupperware, too - in all of those lovely 70s colors!

    I really want to try your recipe if I can find some dill seed. Not sure where I'll get that over here in Japan, but I'll be keeping and eye out for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Donna,
    Thanks for commenting at my blog because now I found your blog and am your newest follower! Your boys are adorable and I am so into lists like your 2011 Goals in the sidebar. Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sue, I hope you can find some dill seed. You can replace it with the fresh version, but the dill seed works beautifully and so that's what I've always used. Good luck!

    Misty, so nice to meet you too. =) I need to talk about that goal list...soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I love pickles. The only ones I've ever made are freezer pickles. We're growing cucumbers this year. Maybe I can try this recipe. And yes, cucumbers are pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never heard of freezer pickles; they sound intriguing. Off to do a Google search. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. oooo, I remember my mom's army avocado green tupperware pickle container, too! I pinned this Donna for future reference- they look amazing! I hope to make these this summer. My boys and I are big pickle fans. I especially love them in my chicken salad recipe and sliced on Cuban sandwiches!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, I think that blue is nice, but your orange container makes for an excellent photo! I enjoyed them all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It honestly never occurred to me to make my own pickles but I plan to try it now. These look awesome. (and I feel the same way about Tupperware - when I'm at my Mom's and see the containers she's had since we were kids, I know I am home :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you so much for stopping by my blog, and for taking the time to comment. I love comments and I love hearing from you!

If you'd like, you can also email me at donnajannuzzi {at} gmail {dot} com

Have a blessed day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...