March 16, 2011

Finding the Light

Have you been reading the guest posts at Write.Click.Scrapbook. this week?  Elizabeth invited five incredible photographers to guest host this week and share their own personal photography philosophies for


The series so far has made me think a little more about why and what I want to photograph. 

Yesterday's post also had me thinking about the how.  Part of me would really love to sit down with a photography book and learn more about the technical aspects of this craft.  Other parts of me would love to take a class.  But the reality is, at the present moment, I don't have that kind of time.  Yes, I could make the time, but I have so many other projects, books, and responsibilities that I don't want to set aside at the moment. And so the classes and the books, those things will have to wait.  It doesn't mean that everything is hopeless.  Photographer Tracey Clark said something yesterday that spoke to me in my present situation which was that we can all learn as we go.  I think if you know just a little about your camera you can take that knowledge, practice a lot and build on it.  That's definitely what I try to do.  I take a lot of photos and play with the settings on my camera and then I see what happens.  Tracey's post gave me the reassurance that I will get better with time.  Maybe practice won't make perfect, but it will make things better.

Today's guest blogger is photographer Kelly Willette.  Her post today is all about finding and using light to bring more power to your photographs.  There is even a video tutorial on how to use natural light to best capture your subject.  Taking her words to heart I took a few practice shots of the boys during and after lunch.  We have a large window-door combination next to our kitchen table and I love the natural light that streams through in the early part of the day.  I seldom even turn the lights on in that room during the day much preferring the glow of the sunshine.  Here is what I captured today:


Do you remember when I mentioned that Nathan twirls his hair when he drinks?  That curl in the upper left corner is what results.


Gabe is such a slow eater.  He enters his own little fantasy world during mealtimes.  Here he is playing with his salami; I think he was pretending it was a trumpet. =)


Look closely.  Can you see them?  This little guy has two cowlicks.  Two.  That is so like him by the way.

I take a lot of photos of the boys by that window.  That usually means that I'm taking their picture while they're eating.  What can I say!?  They're sitting down, relatively still and they are next to one of the best light sources in our house.  At least I get in some photography practice. =)

I'll close with this layout that I made using some of those "eating photos."  Nathan enjoying his noodles:   


If you are reading along at wcs this week what have you taken away from the posts so far?  Do you have your own photography philosophy?  I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Until next time, God bless. =)

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed the week at wcs last week. I am on a major photography journey -- books, classes, anything I can get my hands on.
    Love your LO and the ones for the bloghop!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you so much for stopping by my blog, and for taking the time to comment. I love comments and I love hearing from you!

If you'd like, you can also email me at donnajannuzzi {at} gmail {dot} com

Have a blessed day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...