June 25, 2010

Working on my day off

So, my sweets has to work today.  Today is supposed to be his Friday off.  Which means that he's working on his day off.  Which technically means that I'm working on my day off too.  It's been a long week.  My sweets has had to work really long hours this week and he has barely seen Nathan and Gabe (or me for that matter).  So each morning I've faced the day knowing that I wouldn't see my husband until well after the boys went to bed.  But each morning I had in mind a quote that I recently read on the blog of someone I've really grown to admire.  Here it is:

     "For Christians, the beginning of the day should not be burdened and haunted by various kinds of concerns that they face during the day. The Lord stands above the new day, for God has made it. All restlessness, all impurity, all worry and anxiety flee before him. Therefore, in the early morning hours of the day, may our many thoughts and our many idle words be silent and may the first word and the first thought belong to the one to whom our whole life belongs. "  ~Dietrich Bonhoeffer


And so, I've been trying, note trying to look to the day with less fear and more hope.  I've also been turning to prayer a lot in those difficult moments.  Gabe and Nathan definitely notice that daddy has not been at home.  He is the one who does bath time and bedtime and let me tell you, I do not do it right!  It's as if they tolerate my bath time and bedtime procedures, but they just don't make the grade.  Nothing compares to having daddy at home. 

But the situation is temporary (they are working on a closely approaching deadline).  I just had my first sip of coffee.  Nathan is drinking his milk watching Curious George.  Gabe is still asleep (those middle-of-the-night potty breaks really wear him out - lol!).  Saying some very simple prayers and knowing that the day will turn out fine - even if I am tired and I'd rather be eating breakfast with my husband than without him. 

2 comments:

  1. Our two girls think bathtime with DaDa is so much more fun than having to do it with Mommy, too. They do like my GoToSleep song we do every night, though! ;D Hoping breakfasts WITH are just around the corner for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh isn't that a fabulous quote! I love sharing great quotes (which makes me think I should add a page on the 'ol blog for that). You're a great mom, Donna! I can so empathize with those long, long days.

    two more to encourage you!
    "You..can never fail. You haven't failed; you've acquired experience. Forward!"
    --St. Josemaria Escriva

    "We must begin with love, continue with love, and end with love"
    -St Francis de Sales

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you so much for stopping by my blog, and for taking the time to comment. I love comments and I love hearing from you!

If you'd like, you can also email me at donnajannuzzi {at} gmail {dot} com

Have a blessed day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...